Swindon &
Cricklade
Railway
Restoration
of steam locos
use links below to see diesels & rolling stock
Home Events Parties Find us Blunsdon Hayes Knoll The Line News
Steam locomotives Diesel locomotives Rolling stock Preserved MSWJ items
The restoration of vintage locomotives and rolling stock is a significant part of the Railway's activities. This page reviews some of the major projects completed over the years.
Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST "Salmon" was returned to steam, after a seven-year restoration job, ongoing after the locomotive arrived at the railway in 2000.
It entered preservation on the North Yorks Moors Railway in 1980. Following a move to Cottesmore in Rutland, it finally moved to the Swindon & Cricklade.

Salmon
"Salmon" outside the Hayes Knoll shed on 5th December 2007, a few minutes after passing its final boiler inspection.
Slough Estates No 3 This Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST is the property of the Slough & Windsor Railway Society. While much work on Slough Estates was done at Stoke Poges, restoration was originally completed in the Hayes Knoll shed. Slough Estates was delivered new to the Slough Trading Co Ltd in October 1924.
Slough Estates No3
Slough Estates No 3 in the platford at Blunsdon.
As the Swindon & Cricklade Railway grows, it will become more suitable for main-line locomotives like those shown alongside and below. Meanwhile, smaller tank locomotives are adequate for the work available. At present, three of these are in various stages of restoration on the Railway.


BR(W) Modified Hall 7903 "Foremarke Hall" entered service in 1949. It was allocated to Old Oak Common for most of its working life, which it finished at Cardiff East Dock. After being withdrawn in 1964. it came to Blunsdon in 1981 from Woodhams in Barry, where it was restored by the Foremarke Hall Transport Group. Since restoration, "Foremarke" has moved to the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway.
Foremarke Hall
No 7903 "Foremarke Hall" in steam on the Swindon & Cricklade Railway in 2003. In is now working on the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway. More information from the Foremarke Hall Traction Group.
Drive a loco Membership
Pictures Links Page
Site Index History
GWR 56 Class 0-6-2T No 5637 entered service in September 1925. It worked exclusively from South Wales sheds until withdrawn in 1964. The 5637 Steam Locomotive Group carried out complete restoration at Blunsdon - a notable achievement, considering that, at the time, there were no indoor facilities. 5637 is on loan to the East Somerset Railway.
5637
No 5637 at work on the East Somerset Railway. More information from 5637 Steam Locomotive Group

Home Events Parties Find us Blunsdon Hayes Knoll The Line News

Write to us